Tuesday, 16 March 2010

So What am I Doing Here Anyway? Ashtanga YOGA!


03122010317
Originally uploaded by karenmagdangal



(That's me!)

Ashtanga yoga, translated as “eight limbs,” is described in detail by the sage Patanjali around 500 BCE, during the same time period as Confucious, Plato and Lord Buddha. Despite being an ancient system of yoga, it was popularized by K. Pattabhi Jois in Mysore, India when the Ashtanga Yoga Research Institute opened in 1948. The first two limbs, yama and niyama, detail practices to incorporate into daily living that are essential for progress along the spiritual path. Limb 3 is asana, or the physical poses many people think of when they hear the word “yoga”. Pranamyama is limb 4 , concerned primarily with the breath in terms of retention, expansion or extension. Although very therapeutic, it has a significant purpose for spiritual development. The final 3 limbs, Dharana (concentration), Dhyana (meditation), and Samadhi (contemplation) come as a result of efforts through the first 5 limbs and must be experienced in order to be fully understood.

Although we are learning about all the limbs, one of the main focuses is on the asanas (postures). There are 6 series in Ashtanga and progressively evolve to become significantly more challenging. Each series begins with an “opening” of sun salutations and standing poses, then moves into either the Primary, Intermediate, or Advanced A, B, C or D series, depending on skill level and proper guidance from a teacher. This is followed by a back-bending and “finishing” sequence, which includes numerous inverted postures. It is similar to a sandwich: the two slice of bread never change but the middle can vary greatly. Ashtanga yoga is traditionally taught in Mysore style, a supervised self-practice where each student moves through their current series at his or her own pace. Additionally, the main characteristic of Ashtanga yoga is the vinyasa, or the dynamic connecting of breath to movement. It creates a flow between the more static traditional yoga postures, as each breath dictates the movement and length of time held is each pose. Ashtanga is a very athletic, heat generating and sweat producing practice, thus being the main reason why I am so attracted to it.



The Yoga Thailand Teacher Training Course is a preliminary foundation that exceeds the 200 hour requirements of the Yoga Alliance (certifying body) accreditation. This teacher training program is not a certificate to teach Ashtangea Yoga, as this can only be obtained by visiting the Ashtanga Yoga Research Institute in Mysore and requires years of dedication, loyalty and commitment to the practice. I will, however, be able to instruct a beginners Ashtanga style class, including the opening and closing sections, as well as half of the primary series. To progress further requires the maturity and development of my own practice, as well as becoming comfortable teaching and adjusting the less complex poses. Additionally, I will prepared to teach other types of yoga classes, such as Flow or Restorative, as a means to gain experience and understanding in the teaching world. I am unsure of what direction I will take upon completion, but I believe everything will come with time and practice.



On Teaching......

This week starts our 1 on 1 teaching practice. For an hour each day, a pair of students work together taking turns being student and then teacher. We are given certain poses to practice and must stay within the appropriate time constraints as a means to prepare us for a real life class. Up until this point, we have been diligently learning each pose, its correct alignment and subtle details, as well as the proper means to adjust to deepen the experience without causing injury or unnecessary strain. It is interesting for me to observe my classmates as the week progresses. On Monday, we are awkward, unsure, stumbling over words and tripping over mats. Slowly, as the week moves on, I perceive the growing confidence. The aspiring teachers are standing taller, using stronger voices and implementing their expanding knowledge. Adjustments transform from barely felt to strong and effective. Encouragement is shared as we are all genuinely happy for the success of each individual of the group.


IMG_8656
Originally uploaded by karenmagdangal



For me, I am in love with the experience. It is very similar to my job as a personal trainer, except the exercise and wording used differs. I feel comfortable using my hands to adjust and cue as I draw extensively on all my years of anatomy study. I initially start off a bit shaky, using training instead of yoga vocabulary to instruct and guide. But slowly, the more I practice this week, the more the shift comes. Instead of being a personal trainer, I slowly blossom into a yoga instructor. It feels like second nature; I am in my element. Each time I teach, I feel fully alive. So present in the moment, I am completely engulfed. There is a physical response in my body, the excitement causes my heart to throb and blood to pump. It’s intoxicating! By hour’s end, I am vibrating and energized. I realize I am barely scratching the surface, having an immense amount to learn; however, only a few times trying my new skills and already I am hooked!

No comments: