Samahita Wellness is the the part of Yoga Thailand that offers detox programs, therapeutic services and restorative treatments. As a student, I receive a 20% discount which prompts me to participate in a 3 day detox diet, my first one ever. After answering a 5 page questionnaire regarding diet, medical history and main goals, I am assigned the Faster’s Detox, the most intense and restrictive of all programs. As if teacher training wasn’t hard enough, I have to make it even more challenging! Such is my nature, I am learning. It is completely liquid based, where the juice of fresh fruits and vegetables are blended and administered throughout the day. The benefit of this type of detox is obtaining the nutrients of the fresh produce, such as vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, while allowing the digestive system to completely rest. Eliminating solid food also permits the system to start the detoxification process immediately and offers the most dramatic results. In addition to diet, the program also provides other services to rid the body of toxins stored in muscle and fat, as well as yoga and breath work practices to cleanse on a spiritual level.
To begin each day, I am required to take an entire medley of drinks and capsules, including Ayurvedic herbs, Fenugreek water, Vitamin C and probiotics. It is suggested I use several “cleansing” practices in the morning as well, such as the Neti pot, to ensure the body’s elimination channels are open and clear.
After yoga practice I receive breakfast consisting of 3 drinks. I start with 1 cup of Rejuvelac, a fermented wheat berries liquid that tastes like old dirty gym socks. To chase it down, I am given 1 shot of wheatgrass, which is so bitter I gag every time it touches my tongue. It's as though I plucked a handful of grass and slowly churned it with my teeth, extracting the juice stored within. The only redeeming part of this meal is the young coconut water, cooling and refreshing as it replaces the electrolytes lost from sweating. Next, I attend a Detox Support Meeting where others on programs discuss challenges, bodily changes and any questions we may have regarding the process. It is reassuring to know fellow comrades are on a similar undertaking.
For the remainder of the day, I drink a beverage every 2 hours. Most of the time, it is a detox juice consisting of numerous fruits and vegetables. Twice daily, a Psyllium-Bentonite shake is prepared, a thick clay-like drink with large particles mixed together that seem to scratch on their way down. Dinner is a bowl of Miso broth and an amino acids drink, similar to a protein shake in taste and consistency. My one treat is herbal tea with a droplet of honey. How I savor the sweetness in that small mug!
During the course of the three days, I receive several wellness treatments such as an far infrared sauna to draw out toxins and heavy metals, a therapeutic massage to alleviate tension and break up muscular knots, as well as foot reflexology and abdominal massage to stimulate the digestive organs. I also undergo a “liver flush” consisting of 1 cup of Epsom salts dissolved in water followed by a large glass of olive oil mixed with lemon juice. It resembles a zesty salad dressing but causes a bit of nauseous upon finishing.
Day one passes with a breeze and I am surprised how fantastic I feel. No hunger pains, no headaches and lots of energy. Day 2 arrives with glowing skin and a lighter body. My stomach feels empty and flat, making yoga practice have an enhanced flow with graceful movements . I even notice I am able to take bigger breaths using my diaphragm with the newly created space in my abdominal region. Day 3 begins the struggle where I am hungry and sluggish. Everyone comments on how healthy and wonderful I look, how my skin radiates and eyes shine yet my body and mind crave both rest and food. I find it hard to concentrate in class and want nothing more than a bite of solid food. Luckily, this is my last day of the program and I finish it with great success.
After completing and surviving this detoxification process, I reflect on the experience and what I have learned from it. The most obvious lesson is how much I take eating for granted. Although I am always very thankful for the food sustenance, I tend to give little thought to the actual act of eating. I missed dining with the other girls, sharing a meal as a way to connect and show love. I missed the physical nature of chewing, feeling the food in my mouth and savoring each bite, from the crunch of cold crisp lettuce to the slippery softness of mushing noodles. Oftentimes, I found myself craving to munch, chomp or chew and consequently had to learn how to deal with those desires and impulses.
I gained a greater sensitivity towards those who are starving in this world. Several times my thoughts wandered to them as I experienced the pangs of hunger my body is not yet accustomed. Knowing there are millions out there without nutritious food gave me the strength to see this program through to the end, even when I was tempted to take just one little bite. Additionally, I became much more attuned to my body, especially my digestive system. I am guilty of taking this amazing process for granted as I give little thought to it once food passes my lips. Now I am much more grateful for the constant work my body does to keep me alive and well. I also learned practices to keep my body clean when I return home to the griminess of New York, as well as different herbs to take for specific aliments and conditions. I am reminded that health is a full-time commitment.
Most importantly, I realized how the desires of the flesh can rule the mind. I watched as my thoughts constantly turned to food, its the taste and smells, making it difficult to be in present moment. I recognized the good in being able to control the palate, not in an obsessive, eating disordered way, but with a mindful, balanced approach to food. As a Westerner, I know there is a tendency for mindless consumption, especially when it involves diet. Finishing the detox has given my body the gift of a clean start, my mind a fresh focus, and a new perspective on my relationship to food.

4 comments:
Amanda, I truly love all your daily Thailand blogs - but this one on your Detox process was really touching - brought a tear to my eye! GREAT JOB!!!!!!!!
I'm glad you enjoyed it. I've had similar revelations when trying it myself. Maybe we can try one together when you're back in NY?
Wow! That's amazing! You look great. Glad to see you are giving this program 200% of yourself. It's sure going to be a success for you. I take Fenugreek to help make more breastmilk! How funny is that? Don't worry, you won't start making it, lol. Love ya!
lil cuz...............so loving hearing about your journey, your classes, the discipline, the detox, wow,totally amazing, what a fantastic journey, you are changing and evolving in more ways that I have ever imagined, this trip will indeed affect the rest of your life, keep on "doing your thing!"..........
Post a Comment