Sunday, 7 March 2010

Traditional Thai Massage



When visiting Thailand, it is absolutely necessary to get a traditional Thai massage. After a long day in the sweltering heat, Brain and I decide to treat ourselves to a bit of pampering. We each pay ten American dollars for an hour and a half session. This service is offered on a small deck in the Shanti Lodge off the main staircase. Taking up the entire length of the floor, the room is fitted with three large flat mats arranged next to each other. Ceiling fans and open walls create a refreshing breeze, which makes for a welcoming change from the typical humid air. As luck would have it, Brian’s masseuse is a young Thai girl, attractive with a sweet demeanor and warm smile. I, of course, receive an old crooked spine lady, probably upwards of ninety years old. She is missing the entire row of bottom teeth, except for two which jut out of the corners of her mouth even when her lips are closed. She is almost completely covered in bumps, although I am unable to determine if they are warts or some other form of skin disease. Casting my reservations to the wind, I lay down, close my eyes and drift away.

The Thai massage feels like a combination of cracking from a chiropractic adjustment, stretching from a great yoga class, and the mashing and mushing of a typical massage. I am amazed at the strength and endurance of my little masseuse; for ninety minutes straight, she does not stop once to rest her hands or take a drink of water. Full commitment from both of us as pulls, pushes and lengthens me out, twisting and turning me into a malleable pretzel. I imagine this is what dough feels like after being flattened by a rolling pin. I do not sense an order to her work, moving back and forth between upper and lower body, between arm and leg. She is a master at finding tension, paying extra attention at areas in my body that are knotty and achy. Sometimes I crack open an eye, but for most of the time, I waver between the fine line of consciousness and sleep. The session passes in what feels like minutes as I am left like a big glob to melt on the floor. I look over at Brian who is also unable to muster sufficient energy for a few minutes to move. Finally, we struggle to get up one flight of stairs, crashing immediately onto our bed for a five hour nap. Five hours!!! Waking up at 10:30pm, we are astounded at the healing power of the massage and how amazing we both feel..(and how much of the day we slept away!!!)

1 comment:

J'aim(i)e. said...

mmmmm jet-lag+amazing massage...sounds like that nap was pure heaven :)