Approaching the final hour of the plane ride, as I awake from my third nap, I notice the once pitch black night sky slowly begin to change. On the horizon, there is a subtle golden line forming. Slowly the entire sky transforms into light as the fiery orange sun begins to rise. Suddenly, there is an explosion of color, the most vibrant rainbow appears, like magic, within a matter of moments. I am reminded of the setting sun upon my departure and now feel warmly greeted by newly risen Thailand sun. The next chapter has begun....
Exalted at finally making it all the way around the world, Brian and I are abound with excitement. Relieved to have arrived safely, we make our way through passport security skipping and smiling along the way. I am anxious to get my bags and head out in the city but sense there is a problem when, after waiting patiently at the conveyor belt for countless rotations, my luggage never appears. A state of panic sets in as I recall all that I packed and would need during the next six weeks. I started preparing for this trip weeks ago, receiving many things as holidays presents and steadily accumulating new clothes that I set aside in a growing pile in my bedroom. I was ready to leave weeks before, constantly purchasing toiletries and special treats I was saving especially for this trip. Additionally, the bag was full of many of my favorite Indian clothes, scarves and bags, all of my schoolbooks, copies of all my important documents as well as shoes, underwear, and bathing suits. I am struggling to remain calm. Most likely as a result of sheer exhaustion, I bust out into tears when the kind airport personnel is unable to locate my bag. She assures me it was left in Helsinki and would be on the next flight later today. Feeling slightly overwhelmed with intense pangs of nausea, we set out into the sweltering humid air to get a taxi. I am sick knowing I failed my very first test upon arrival, realizing I forgot to implement any of yogic knowledge and breathing I have learned over the past few months. The only peace I find is Brian's reminder that there is a reason for everything, that some good will be learned from this first challenge.

No comments:
Post a Comment