Sunday, 14 March 2010

Field Trip !!!!!



Since Saturdays is the teacher trainees’ day off, a group outing is planned for an afternoon excursion. All the students pile into the Yoga Thailand van and head to the local pier. This reminds me of my grade school class trips, with the buzz of excitement, chatter, and endless picture taking. Upon arrival, we separate into two long, narrow boats whose edges sit very close to the water’s surface. At any moment, the boat feels as though it will capsize. It is a cause for many nervous jolts and much belly laughter, especially when anyone moves or changes position.





The captain starts the motor and we zoom forward, cascading over the crystal teal green sea for the island of Ko Tao. The boat slices the ocean and creates a cooling spritz that refreshingly lands on my skin. The sun hangs high, creating a shimmering surface on both land and water. In this moment, I sense the overwhelming gratitude of my fellow classmates. For the past seven days, we have undergone the first week of an extremely intense program, many of us leaving jobs, relationships and stability at home to set off on this unknown journey. We have spent a tremendous amount of time studying, practicing and attending classes. It is the first opportunity since arriving to leave our Yoga Thailand home and be given the freedom to play and explore.



We reach the shoreline of Ko Tao, where lush vegetation meets grayish granite cliffs edging along the water. There is no secure place to dock on the island; instead, we decide to explore the ocean’s underworld. Every person receives a mask with air tube and proceeds to jump off the boat for a snorkeling adventure.



The water, although warm, has a cooling effect on my sun soaked skin. I peer into the transparent veil of liquid to uncover an entire ecosystem. Coral rocks formations spread across the ocean bottom, making it impossible to step my feet down. There are all kinds of plant creatures swaying in the currents. Many are greenish brown, resembling cactus but malleable and gentler. There are spongy bulges housed comfortably between ivy zines growing up towards the sun. I see a waddling crab negotiating his way over the shells and coral pieces littered on the sea floor. A thick black snake sits unmoving, camouflaged as part of a stone structure. Fish are everywhere, stripped, fluorescent, minuscule and large. Feeling like a mermaid, I swim directly into one of the many schools. I perceive the power fish have in numbers, trying to keep up as they jet hurriedly in all directions. I almost touch them as they surround me, skimming my skin with their scaly bodies. I finally pull my head out of the water to notice I am the only person left in the ocean. I become so engrossed in the hidden submerged life that I fail to see everyone else on board, patiently waiting to depart for our next destination.



From our undersea discovery, we sail to the neighboring Ko Phangan. The boat approaches the powdery white sand on the very remote and deserted side of the island. We are given a couple hours to play, explore, and sunbathe. Juicy slices of watermelon are served and enjoyed under the shade of a large, leafy tree. I relax into a hammock, swaying to the breeze and chatting with the girls. Life is certainly amazing, we wholeheartedly agree, as we exchange stories of our different life paths leading us here on this island together. I am astounded by the individual journeys, as well as the strength, character and integrity each one possesses. I am honored to be part of a group of such inspiring women.



As the sun begins to lower, we board the boat and head back to Koh Samui. Most of us are colored red from the sun’s intense heat and covered in salt from the ocean waters. It is a quiet ride, as many sit with closed eyes, moving delicately to the waves rhythm as it passes under the boat. Falling almost into a meditative state, we share this moment, a bonding experience that far extends beyond our yoga training.

No comments: