After 10 hours of extremely challenging travel, Brian has finally arrived at Yoga Thailand. No easy feat, as he literally crossed the country to spend the weekend together. Beginning on a bus without shocks and a broken air conditioner and transferring to a ferry ride over turbulent seas, he endured and survived, thankfully all in one piece. I have a feeling that is LOVE! Having not seen each other in over two weeks, our reunion is joyous and heartfelt. He is relieved to have arrived after such a treacherous journey and I am elated to have him experience my life here on Koh Samui. Brian is amazed at the facility, it’s luxury, cleanliness and design. Quite the contrast from what he was experiencing in Phuket. I proudly show him around, starting from my room through the campus and onto the beach. Without much access to healthy foods, Brian particularly savors the array of fresh vegetables and noodles offered for dinner. In honor of this special occasion and because I have maintained such a clean diet, we celebrate over a double scoop of coconut gelato. Every spoonful is beyond decadent, augmenting the already boundless happiness felt in this moment. We stroll home admiring the stars, catching up and sharing stories of our individual growth and experiences. It is wonderful and exciting to get to know the newer versions of our old selves.
Saturday is quiet and relaxing as we enjoy each other’s company, beginning with Dorien’s Qigong and restorative yoga class. Brian loves everything about it, from the teacher to the energy, and becomes completely engulfed in each movement. I take a peak over to him as he “Waltzes with Willows,” swaying with eyes closed and smiling brightly. It is a picture in my heart’s mind that I will never forget. It becomes one of my absolute favorite images of him, so free, present and happy. Despite the intense heat, we walk along the beach discussing life dreams, necessary plans and imminent changes. The water is bathwater warm as it splashes up onto our legs. We discover a rock formation, which we immediately transform into a jungle gym. Climbing over the massive structure, Brian reaches the largest stone half submerged in water. Carefully, he performs an array of gymnastic and yoga moves to my utter delight and amusement. We take turns using the camera for a makeshift photo shoot, letting our playfulness spill forth, overriding our maturity and inhibitions. A bit burnt and perpetually sweating, Brian and I take a dip in the ocean. Although very shallow and rocky, we belly laugh as the waves knock us over, take us under and flip us around. We lazily find our way back and spend the rest of the afternoon mingling with all of my classmates, as Brian easily becomes a member of our intimate group.
Since Sunday is my turn to assist during morning yoga, I rise around 4:30am to complete my practice before class starts. While this could seem a bit extreme, my efforts are rewarded when my teacher gives permission to work with Brian and a few other residents at Yoga Thailand. I am completely stoked to have the opportunity to try out all my newly acquired adjustments on Brian, who I know will provide great feedback regarding my technique. I take great pleasure in pushing him to twist deeper, lengthen longer, and work harder. Despite all my poking and extreme attention to detail, Brian thoroughly enjoys the class. He soon develops a great affinity for my teacher, Paul, who spends a good amount of time helping to refine his poses and discuss with him the the yogic path.
Brian also participates in garbage pick-up for our karma yoga activity. Instead of combing the beach, we pile into the trusty Yoga Thailand van and head to the local waterfall. As part of a tourist attraction, the waterfall park also offers rides on elephants as well as a small outdoor market place. We break off into groups, outfitted with gloves and large garbage bags, and begin the search. As many curious onlookers stare, we pick up wrappers, plastic water bottles, and other debris left by careless visitors.
The group arrives at the waterfall, hidden in a lush jungle-like forest of hanging vines and canopy branches. Due to the lack of rain, the waterfall is more like a weak dribble rather than cascading rapids. Still beautiful and serene, it’s refreshing to see another aspect of the island while having the opportunity to clean up the environment.
The weekend passes quickly, as Monday arrives bringing my hectic class schedule. Brian and I practice together, side by side on our new mats. Although a regular occurrence back home, we havent had the opportunity to practice together since we left New York. Over breakfast, we discuss a plan for what he will do for the remaining two weeks while I finish the program. Several options rise, such as visiting other islands or traveling up to northern Thailand, but none seem to pan out or provide what he seeks. Brian has come to love Yoga Thailand, especially in terms of the nutritious food, amazing teacher, and Ashtanga practice. Additionally, we are enjoying spending time and sharing yoga together. However, staying here with me would be extremely expensive and could possibly infringe on my focus and study time. Brian emphasizes the importance of my continual involvement with the group and cautions to avoid distractions from his presence. Finally, we come up with a conclusion that suits both our needs. Brian is to stay at a local bungalow but with the opportunity to practice here every morning, a special exception made by Paul. This is certainly rare, as drop-in students are usually not allowed access. Luckily, we both feel feel great about the current situation, providing us time for our individual growth, mixed in with moments shared together.
Just when I think life can't get better, it does......

2 comments:
I got to practice this morning and Carly, Ashley, and Jamie are reading your blog..looking up at me they say: Brian visited! Naturally, I ran home to read. What a beautiful journey you two. I love the relationship and the yoga. xoxo
What an absolutely unbelievable journey you are on - it really does just keep getting better!! I'm very grateful that your blog has allowed me to follow your experiences in Thailand - so much evolution is occurring for both you and Brian! Love & Blessings!
Post a Comment