As usual with life, time is flying by in a eye’s quick blink. Already is the last week of my teacher training program. It is unbelievable to think I have been here for almost a month, undergoing so much change and immense growth. Sometimes it feels like I have been here for years, other times like I have just arrived. Within the first few days, it becomes obvious that coming here is one of the best decisions of my life.
In order to complete the program, numerous criteria must be meet successfully. In the few months leading up to arrival, all attendees are required to submit 5 written assignments based on the mandatory reading books. This provides a great foundation and common starting ground for all the students. In addition, participation during the program is constantly assessed, including active engagement in the learning process, overall energy and attitude, as well as attendance to all classes and events. There is practical teaching portion to instruct a basic class, including a set sequence we must follow, which is observed by one of the senior teachers. Additionally, an oral exam is given based on specific chants, the Sanskrit numbers, and every pose in the Ashtanga primary series. Finally, the program administers a written text, thoroughly covering all areas we studied in the last month. A numerical grade is not given; rather, each portion is judged either successful or unsuccessful. If performance is unsatisfactory, an optional retest is given as a gracious second chance.

Today is my practical exam. Originally, I am placed in Group 5 and assigned to teach at the end of the day. However, with a slight twist of fate, I am moved to Group 1, which begins directly after Pranayama class. I am so grateful to change times, feeling fresh, awake and ready. Paul gives permission for Brian to attend, joining three of my classmates to form my first class. Initially, my nerves rattle in my belly but soon settle after the opening chant. As the hour progresses, I comfortably assume my role as teacher. I find my zone and fall into a groove. It becomes enjoyable and fun, as opposed to stressful and rigid. I am confident in my language, adjustments, timing and flow. Completing the sequence of poses, we finish with several breathing techniques and a closing prayer.
Upon completion of the hour class, I immediately receive feedback from my teacher, Anna. She is very pleased with my performance, commenting on my thorough explanations and adjustments during class. I receive successful completions in all the asanas, as well as good attention to breath. The greatest aspect of my teaching is my positivity and friendliness, as well as my interactions with students and overall flow. What I must include in the future is more modifications for beginners and a bit slower talking pace. Anna provides me with some brilliant advice. Coming from a personal training background and working within the fitness environment for the last ten years, she thinks I would be ideal for teaching yoga classes in large gyms. ( Just when I finally escape from the corporate fitness world!!!) However, if I so desired to teach in an actual yoga shala, I need to tone down my excitement and energy. I assume calling my yoga students "rock stars" and constantly sprinkling humorous encouragements inbetween the Sanskrit names does not really fit together. I really appreciate the insight and something I will definitely consider when approaching the job market.

I also complete my oral examination this afternoon. With ease, I rattle off some 50 asanas names and receive an "Excellent" as my grade. What a relief! Now the only thing left is the written test. I am in the home stretch......

1 comment:
congratulations Amanda! This is so exciting!!! You are more than welcome to call me a rockstar in whatever class you happen to teach me (which I do hope I will have the pleasure of taking from you!). This journey has been absolutely magical and I'm so thankful that you've shared it with me. Practice, practice, all is coming!
Namaste :)
Post a Comment