Because Thailand requires such a long flight, Brian and I decide to stop in Helsinki, Finland for an 8 hour layover. The plane is a sea of platinum blond hair and rows of huge, sky blue round eyes. We have no idea what to expect, but peering out the window, I see nothing but vast fields of white, poked occasionally with dark points of evergreen trees. I imagine this is what Siberia looks like, not what I envisioned as Finland. I sense trouble when we are the only people not bundling up in big parkas, wool hats, bulky scarves and gloves. We were so anxious to leave New York, so ready to part with winter’s buckets of snow that it never occurred to us to bring anything warm to wear. God really does have a sense of humor, sending us to a place that is covered by more snow than I have ever seen in my life. He is clearly making me earn that sunshine I have been craving!
Freezing in the bitter cold with no sleep and no plans, we venture out into the drab capital city, catching the city bus to the town center. For thirty minutes we drive through the what appears as the gloomiest, grayest place on earth. There is no color anywhere, no vibrancy, no life. We are perpetually surrounded by mounds of dirty snow, piled up high on sidewalks and along streets. Everyone looks pale and cold as the snow continually falls, soaking everything in its unrelenting saturation. We are hoping to devour a delicious breakfast of omelets but could not find a place that serves breakfast (or eggs for that matter!). After walking in circles with wet shoes following numerous natives’ directions, we finally find a decent coffee shop for vegetable sandwiches and coffee. Not necessarily what I imagined, but I feel relieved to satisfy my hunger while ridding myself of the chill that has forcefully invaded my bones.
Being a responsible daughter, I know now I must get in touch with my mother to inform her of our safe arrival. Unfortunately, neither of us are able to pick up a signal, making our cell phones and laptops completely useless. Again we trek out into the blistering weather, sent down several different streets through puddles of freezing water until alas, we find a working Internet connection. After sending a few emails, another cup of coffee, and a buttery, freshly baked flaky danish, we head back to the airport. While our venture out is short, a bit challenging, and very cold, we both agree is was worth trekking out into the unknown to catch a glimpse of this city. Already I am reminded of the world’s far reaching diversity and all that I have yet to experience.
Back at the airport, we find an area equipped with lounge chairs and long benches for napping travelers. Exhausted from pulling an all-nighter, we both fall to sleep, curled up into balls still trying to recover our lost warmth while we use our bulging backpacks as pillows. By the time we are called for boarding, I am ready to leave Finland. I am anxious to depart from the lonely airport, the ashy sky and dull, gloomy energy. I am ready to experience Thailand, ready to feel the Asian sun burn into my skin, ready to have my senses penetrated. As I walk the long corridor to the plane, I am leaving the shores of safety. My heart pounds through my chest as I experience feeling fully alive, where every fiber of my being vibrates. It is a similar to the feelings I often experienced right before a fight, what I affectionately referred to as “raging butterflies.” I have accepted this challenge, risking the known for the unknown, the familiar for the unfamiliar, the comfortable for the uncomfortable to some unforeseen destination. It is surely a gamble, but only the gamblers really know what life is about.
The night before this big departure, I opened a fortune cookie to discover an omen, surely sent to me on purpose. It read, “A thrilling time is in your immediate future.” I couldn't agree more.
Next stop, Bangkok.

No comments:
Post a Comment